Sunday, December 15, 2019

Confirmation Bias



     My favorite part about completing my research on an EOTO project is coming into class the next week and getting to learn from what everyone else has spent the week becoming mini experts in. One concept presented that really peaked my interest the most was confirmation bias. Simply put, confirmation bias is a type of cognitive bias that involves favoring information that confirms your previously held beliefs. I see confirmation bias almost every day, it is a concept that is so present and under all of our noses that I wonder if we all even see it happening. All the time my friends and I will be discussing something and each have a different answer to something specific. It always ends in one of us pulling out of phones and having an "ah hah!" moment as we tell the other how wrong they were while we read out something from the internet proving our own opinion true. I will be honest and admit that when I pull out my phone to do this, my eyes automatically scan the screen for the words that will support what I am already trying to prove to my friends. It happens so effortlessly, I do not even have to remind myself to do this, my eyes just go into the memorized skimming dance. If I read something that opposes my opinion I am seeking to prove, I don't even think my mind notices. It is such an obsession to find the one article or posted opinion that will go with what you already believe because that is what is easiest and most comfortable.           Confirmation bias can be seen in action greatly when it comes to debates. For example, if someone was Pro Life, they would seek out news articles and personal essays with reasons that reinforce her beliefs. When she sees a story come on the news about a controversial situation involving abortion, she interprets details and information given in a way that will support her opinion. It works the same vice versa. These individuals may possess opposite feelings regarding abortion, but can still read the same news story and find confirmation for their different opinions because their bias will work in their favor in how they perceive the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Semester Sentiment

     I truly cannot adequately express in words the gratitude I have for this semester. It has pushed me out of my comfort zone more t...